Costello Carlson & Butzon LLP
Costello, Carlson & Butzon LLP is a general practice law firm recognized for our transactional work in the areas of real estate law, probate, trusts, estate planning, estate and gift taxation, elder law, charitable foundations, business and banking law, municipal law, commercial transactions and agricultural law.
The law firm represents individuals, families, trustees and other fiduciaries, small businesses, foundations and corporations, offering a wide range of legal services.
Our lawyers and staff understand client's needs. Our firm is committed to providing common sense explanations of even the most complex legal issues, so that our clients are fully informed.
Since 1896, Costello, Carlson & Butzon LLP has been a presence in southwest Minnesota. The firm has always held to the highest professional and ethical standards. We have a reputation of maintaining long-term relationships with clients. We have supported the talents and endeavors of the local population. We have demanded a strong commitment to professional excellence from attorneys and encouraged their participation in civic, educational, professional and public service.
American Bar Association - 1997
- Vice-Chair of the Animal Law Committee of the Tort, Trial and Insurance Section, 2004; Member of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law; Law Practice Management; General Practice, Solo and Small Firm Sections.
Minnesota State Bar Association - 1978
- Board of Governors, 1993-1994; 2003-2008; Chair of the Outstate Practice Section, 1992-1994, 2008; Chair of the Agricultural Law Section 2002-2004; Agricultural Law Section Council, 2005-2010; Member of the Agricultural Law; Animal Law; Business Law; Elder Law; General Practice; Outstate Practice; Probate and Trust Law; Real Property Law. Sections. Legal Education and Law School Admissions Committee, 2005; Judiciary Committee, 2007-2009.
Seventeenth Judicial District Bar Association - 1978
- President, 1992-1993; 2004-2005; Chair of the Fee Arbitration Panel, 1991.
Iowa State Bar Association - 1997
Nebraska State Bar Association - 1977
American Agricultural Law Association
- Board of Directors, 2007-2010; Chair of Awards Committee, 1998; Publications Committee; Membership Committee.
American Veterinary Medical Law Association
Jackson County Law Library Board of Trustees
Lakefield City Attorney
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc.
- Volunteer lawyer; Campaign for Legal Aid Committee, Greater Minnesota
American Bar Association:
- Author: "Impact of Recapture in Deciding to Use I.R.C. Section 2032A". Section of Taxation, 1983
American Agricultural Law Association:
- Author: "Starting a Charitable Foundation Using the Community Foundation Option"/ Memphis Tennessee, 1994
- Author: "Current Developments in Farm Estate Planning". Kansas City, Missouri, 1995
- Author: Serving Agricultural Clients, Managing a Financially Sound Law Practice". Colorado Springs, Colorado, 2001.
Minnesota Continuing Legal Education:
- Author: “Ethical Problems with the Sale of a Solo Law Practice”. General Practice Section, 1993
- Moderator and Instructor: Agricultural Estate Planning Update: Basic Concepts in Medical Assistance Planning. Agricultural Law Institute, 1994
- Instructor: Estate Planning for Farmers and Ranchers. Agricultural Law Institute, 1995
- Author: “Creative Valuation”. Agricultural Law Institute, 1997
- Author: “Small Business Taxation and Estate Planning Update”. Agricultural Law Institute, 1999
- Author: “Marital Deductions, Disclaimers and Gifting to Avoid Taxation”. Agricultural Law Institute, 2000
- Author: “Survey of the Distinctions Made in Minnesota Law for Agricultural Real Estate, with commentary and appendices." Agricultural Law Institute, 2002
- Instructor: “Business: Case Law and Statutory Update”. 2008 Legal Update, 2008
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services:
- Author: “Challenges in Legal Ethics”. SMRLS Continuing Legal Education, 1998
|Honors & Awards:|
Excellence in Agricultural Law 2010 American Agricultural Law Association
We have offices located in Jackson, Lakefield, and Heron Lake Minnesota.
Patrick K. Costello
Costello, Carlson & Butzon, LLP
Jackson County Minnesota
310 Main Street
603 Second Street
265 Tenth Street
Heron Lake 56137
At Other Times By Appointment.
In determining the reasonableness of attorney fees, consideration is given to all the following factors:
1. The time and labor required.
2. The experience and knowledge of the attorney.
3. The complexity and novelty of the problems involved.
4. The extent of the responsibility assumed and the results obtained; and
5. The sufficiency of the assets properly available to pay the fee under the circumstances.
Clients are very accepting of this type of arrangement particularly when the maximum amount to be charged is stated.
|Lakefield Estate Lawyer|
Find A Lawyer
Recent Legal Articles
Submit green card application in Dubai usa embassy.
I am a green card holder living in Dubai with my husband. Can I submit the green card application for my husband to get him citizenship?
by Nareshwar Virdi