Kate S. McGrath
Kate S. McGrath
Accident & Injury, Criminal, Divorce & Family Law, Lawsuit & Dispute, EstateNorristown, PA 19401 (Montgomery County)
Lawsuit & Dispute, Divorce & Family Law, Estate, Accident & Injury, CriminalValley Forge, PA 19482 (Chester County)
Divorce & Family Law, Criminal, Real Estate, Estate, International TaxErdenheim, PA 19038 (Montgomery County)
Real Estate, Criminal, Estate, Telecommunications, LitigationLower Gwynedd, PA 19002 (Montgomery County)
Divorce, Family Law, Child Support, Child Custody, AdoptionPhiladelphia, PA 19131 (Philadelphia County)
Estate, Accident & Injury, Real Estate, Business OrganizationMedia, PA 19063 (Delaware County)
Medical Malpractice, Car Accident, Insurance, Products Liability, Occupational Safety & HealthMedia, PA 19063 (Delaware County)
Kate S. McGrath is the Director of the Healthcare Liability Department. She oversees all healthcare liability matters in each of the firm's 19 offices. The Healthcare Liability Department has 65 lawyers whose practice is generally limited to healthcare liability matters. Kate also oversees the Health Law Group, which is part of the Healthcare Liability Department.
Kate devotes most of her practice to medical malpractice, long term care, and dental malpractice defense. She has handled approximately 500 cases, with approximately 60 trials and a 95% defense verdict. Two of her cases ended in verdicts or settlements significantly below the settlement demand.
Kate has represented physicians from almost every specialty in healthcare liability matters. She has represented Community Health Systems through Pottstown Memorial Medical Center, Universal Health Services, Inc. through Central Montgomery Medical Center, Abington Memorial Hospital on behalf of Cassatt, Doylestown Hospital.
Kate graduated from Immaculata College with a degree in English. Following graduation, she taught at several high schools in the Philadelphia area. In 1986, she began attending Villanova University Law School. She graduated from Villanova in 1989. After graduation, she immediately began working at Marshall, Dennehey, Warner, Coleman & Goggin in the medical malpractice group in the firm's Norristown, Pennsylvania, office and has continued to be extremely active in this area of the law, taking a number of cases to successful verdict.
Kate has lectured for various hospitals and organizations in Pennsylvania. For example, she has lectured at Pottstown Memorial Medical Center, North Penn Hospital, and for the Pennsylvania Society of Health Care Risk Managers. Additionally, she has made presentations for the Inns of Court of America for the Montgomery Bar Association's Medical Legal Committee.
Significant Representative Matters:
- Through use of multiple medical experts, vocational experts and life care planners, as well as Frye Motions, Kate was able to bring a demand of $7 million down to a settlement of $500,000 in a case of clear liability in which a pediatric anesthesiologist claimed that she was never able to work again.
- Defense verdict in case brought by an ObGyn claiming she could never work again because of a fall in the operating room. The demand was $5 million.
- Defense verdict in a case brought by the widow of a 31-year-old father of two who died from a pulmonary embolus. The demand was $4 million.
- Defense verdict in a case involving the death of a 48-year-old woman from a pulmonary embolus. The demand was $3 million.
- Defense verdict in failure to diagnose colon cancer. This case had a $3 million demand.
- Kate has handled the defense of a national tissue processor in a class action matter.
|Villanova University School of Law||Law School||N/A|
|State / Court||Date|
620 Freedom Business Center
King Of Prussia, PA 19406