Alternative to DACA Advance Parole

by Jeanny Tsoi on Jan. 15, 2020


Summary: Alternative to DACA Advance Parole

As of September 5, 2017, United States, Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) will no longer accept new applications for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (“DACA”). Please see this article for more detailsDue to this recent change, USCIS will also stop adjudicating advance parole requests that are associated with DACA.

Advance parole is a travel document that allows recipients to “legally” return to the United States after traveling abroad. Upon return, the recipients are “paroled” into the United States, which is considered a lawful entry. This benefited many DACA beneficiaries because a lawful entry would allow the DACA beneficiaries to obtain a green card within the United States (without traveling to a U.S. consulate abroad) if otherwise eligible to do so – and not protected under 245i. But DACA advance parole is no longer available. Fortunately, there is an alternative option, namely – I-601A, Application for Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver (“I-601A waiver”).

Immigrants who entered without inspection (“EWI”), but be eligible for a green card through family or employment, are required to travel abroad to complete the immigration process. However, by doing so, they may be barred from returning to the United States for 3 or 10 years because they stayed here unlawfully. To overcome this issue, immigrants may apply for the I-601A waiver before leaving the United States. Applicants must meet the following criteria:

· Be at least 17 years of age;

· Be physically present in the United States to file the waiver and provide biometrics;

· Have a case pending with the U.S. Department of State based on:

o an approved immigrant visa petition (e.g. through family (I-130) or employment (I-140));

· Will depart from the United States to obtain the immigrant visa;

· Be able to demonstrate that refusal of admission to the United States will cause extreme hardship to applicants’ U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouses or parents; and

· Unlawful presence is the only inadmissibility issue at hand.

Even though DACA advance parole is no longer available, this does not mean persons are out of options to receive a green card. Many times, they are simply unaware of potential alternatives. So if you are at a loss and not sure how to protect you and your family’s future in the United States, please do not hesitate to contact our office for a free in-person consultation. Having an experienced immigration attorney on your side can make all difference.

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See's full Terms of Use for more information.