Attorneys Answer: When Do You Need to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Maryland?
Car accidents happen every day. These accidents vary from minor fender benders where to serious car accidents that cause catastrophic injuries or death. But when do you need to hire a car accident lawyer?
WGK Personal Injury Lawyers explains what situations may warrant a car accident attorney.
You Are Injured in a Car Accident
Any time you are injured in an accident, you should seriously consider hiring a lawyer to help. An injury can seriously disrupt your life and lead to expensive medical bills, extensive time away from work, pain and suffering, and negative effects on your personal relationships.
When you are dealing with all of this, the last thing you need to be worrying about is an insurance claim. A lawyer can handle all aspects of your claim by:
- Arranging for your medical care
- Investigating the cause of the accident
- Identifying all potentially responsible parties
- Handling all communication with the insurance company
- Gathering and reviewing evidence of the accident
- Advising you of your legal rights and options
- Negotiating for a fair settlement
If you do not want to do all of these things yourself, consider hiring a lawyer.
Liability Is in Dispute
You may think that the cause of the accident was clear, and that the other driver was at fault. However, the other driver may try to blame you for the accident or say that you contributed to it. Thanks to Maryland’s pure contributory negligence model, blaming the other driver is an effective strategy to avoid accountability.
In Maryland, if the plaintiff is found even at 1% fault, they lose the right to recover any compensation. A lawyer can help prove the other party was at fault and you were an innocent victim who deserves to be fairly compensated.
You Have Extensive Damages After Your Car Accident
Another reason why you might need to hire a car accident attorney is because you have sustained extensive damages. The insurance company may try to give you a lowball offer that does not adequately compensate you for your losses.
Through a lawyer, you can demand compensation for:
- Costs to repair or replace your vehicle
- Medical expenses for past, current, and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost or reduced earning capacity
- Permanent disability, disfigurement, or scarring
- Out-of-pocket expenses related to your injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish and distress
A lawyer can help gather evidence of these damages and demand maximum compensation for you.
The Insurance Company Denies Your Claim in Maryland
If the insurance company refuses to offer you any money, you will need a lawyer to advocate for you. A lawyer may be able to present evidence in a clear way to show why you are entitled to compensation.
Additionally, hiring a lawyer sends a message that you are serious about recovering your just compensation and will take the steps necessary to protect your rights.
You Might Have to Sue
If you have tried to hold the other driver accountable and you have not made much headway, you may ultimately need to sue to try to recover fair compensation.
You may have to sue if any of the following situations apply:
- The insurance company continues to deny your claim
- The insurance company fails to offer a reasonable settlement
- More than one driver was responsible for the accident
- The at-fault driver was uninsured
- The deadline to file a claim is almost out
- The insurance company is using bad faith practices to deny, delay, or minimize the value of your claim
Personal injury lawyers typically offer a free consultation, so you can contact them and ask whether you may need a lawyer for your particular situation.
Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer