Charged with DWI? How to get your North Carolina driving license back

by Wiley Nickel on Sep. 19, 2013

Criminal DUI-DWI 

Summary: Charged with DWI? How to get your North Carolina driving license back

Charged with DWI? How to get your North Carolina driving license back

There are three areas of a DWI case where the Limited Driving Privilege applies. The first is after being charged with a DWI - you will have your license suspended for 30 days. Most likely, the Police Officer took your license. In those situations the Privilege can not be granted for the first 10 days.

The Privilege will only be for the remaining 20 days.  There is another privilege for the time after those 30 days and before your case is over. If convicted of a DWI or if you plead guilty to a DWI, you will have your license suspended for 12 months.

Depending on how high your blood/alcohol level was at the time of your arrest will dictate when you can petition the court for a Limited Driving Privilege for those 12 months after a guilty plea or guilty verdict after your bench or jury trial. The petition requires several things before a Judge will consider it. Below is a list of those things that are necessary.

1. A certified 7-year driving record from the DMV
2. A Limited Driving Privilege Petition (Form AOC-CVR-9)
3. Fully completed Limited Driving Privileges (Form AOC-CVR-10 or AOC-CVR-11) (3 copies of each)
4. Valid proof of driving insurance (called a 'DL-123 form')
5. Proof of Substance Abuse Assessment
6. Letter from an employer or school if requesting more time outside of the standard hours.
7. $100 cost for the privilege

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See's full Terms of Use for more information.