Citizenship with No English - It Is Possible

by Vincent Martin on Aug. 10, 2020


Summary: Can a person get U.S. citizenship without knowing English? In some circumstances, yes! Form N-648.

U.S. immigration law allows an exception to the English and civics testing requirements for naturalization because of physical or developmental disability or mental impairment. The Form N-648 (completed by a doctor) is filed together with the Form N-400 when seeking the waiver/exception.

You go through the normal process of biometrics and the interview, but you are allowed to have a translator with you at the interview, and your lawyer. But remember, you must meet all the other requirements for citizenship, i.e., no disqualifiers like a criminal record, long absence from United States, etc.

And note that only the following doctors can complete the N-648:

Medical doctors, doctors of osteopathy, clinical psychologists. 

Call Martin Law for help (952) 746-4111.

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See's full Terms of Use for more information.