by Jon Michael Probstein on Jun. 13, 2018

Divorce & Family Law Divorce & Family Law  Child Support 

Summary: When will a court require parents to be responsible for college expenses in a pending divorce.

Weidman v Weidman, 2018 NY Slip Op 04027, Decided on June 6, 2018, Appellate Division, Second Department:

"The court, however, should have denied, as premature, the defendant's request to allocate between the parties responsibility for the future college expenses of the parties' then 13-year-old child (see Marin v Marin, 148 AD3d 1132, 1136; Repetti v Repetti, 147 AD3d 1094, 1097; Dochter v Dochter, 118 AD3d 665, 666; Bogannam v Bogannam, 60 AD3d 985, 986)."

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer

Lawyer.com is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on Lawyer.com is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by Lawyer.com. The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, Lawyer.com recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See Lawyer.com's full Terms of Use for more information.