Does Your Massachusetts Auto Insurance Have You Covered?

by Joel H. Schwartz on Apr. 02, 2013

Accident & Injury Car Accident 

Summary: A brief summary of what car insurance must be purchased in Massachusetts and what you should do in case of an accident.

Does Your Massachusetts Auto Insurance Have You Covered?

Here's How to Tell


Accidents are scary - first there's the emotional shock, then potentially the physical pain and finally the mental stress of how your medical bills (or someone elses) will be handled.


Massachusetts pioneered no-fault auto insurance over 40 years ago, making it possible (in theory) for anyone who is injured in a motor vehicle accident to receive the medical treatment they need without having to first establish who was at fault. No-fault insurance is also known as Personal Injury Protection ("PIP"), since it covers both medical expenses and any loss of income.


To drive a car in the state of Massachusetts, you are required to purchase a minimum amount of insurance as follows:


Bodily Injury - Minimum $20,000 per person, $40,000 per accident


Personal Injury Protection (PIP) - Covers up to $8,000 in medical and loss of income expenses, no matter who was at fault


Property Damage - Minimum $5,000


These minimum requirements may easily be exceeded if you cause or are a victim of a serious auto accident, so you may want to consider additional coverage for you and the other drivers in your family.   


If you call our office, we would be happy to give you a free analysis to determine if you have the proper auto coverage. This will protect you and your family, and give you peace of mind knowing you are covered appropriately in case of an accident.  


When An Accident Occurs    


If you are involved in an accident, your first concern should be to get the proper medical attention from the doctor or medical facility of your choice. Because Massachusetts is a no fault state, your medical bills are paid regardless of fault.


You must promptly notify your insurer of any accident and if you have been the victim of a hit-and-run accident, you must notify your insurer within 24 hours of the accident.


If you have significant personal injuries for which you may need to be compensated over and above what insurance allows, you may need to make a personal liability claim if the other driver was at fault.


If that is the case, you must have reasonable and necessary medical bills in excess of $2,000, or a permanent scar or disfigurement, or a fracture, or death.



How We Can Help


In theory, your auto insurer is responsible for much if not all of your medical bills. However, in practice, insurance companies don't always pay for what you think they should.


This is when we can help. Our office will make sure that your medical bills are submitted properly and do whatever is necessary to make sure your bills are paid in full and that you are properly compensated for any loss of income.


If you sustain other losses because of severe injury or incapacity, we can review your accident and advise you on proceeding with a personal injury liability claim so you are fairly compensated.


If you have suffered an injury and believe you may have a personal injury claim, we can tell you right away whether or not you do -- and how we can help - free of charge. Call us today at 800-660-2270.

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See's full Terms of Use for more information.