We know that the last thing you ever think you will have to worry about is a faulty product causing an injury, or even death, to someone you love. However, if you need a Kansas City wrongful death attorney, we are here to help. At Peddicord & Townsend LLC, our knowledgeable and experienced team is ready to get to work for you.
Let us get to the bottom of what happened. If the negligence of another person or company caused the death of your loved one, we will work to secure the compensation you deserve.
What Happened In This Case?
We have learned that the family of Kai-Lynn McMullin, a girl died two days after she was caught in a fire at her home, has been awarded $1.6 million in a settlement. Kai-Lynn suffered in critical condition with second and third-degree burns covering more than a third of her body and face before she died from her injuries.
According to a lawsuit, Kai-Lynn, 5, died because of a defective smoke detector at the apartment complex where she lived. According to the attorney handling the case, a working smoke detector “would’ve saved her life.”
The wrongful death lawsuit was dismissed y Kai-Lynn’s mother as a result of the settlement.
Kai-Lynn was on a couch in the living room of the apartment when the fire broke out in the apartment complex, and neighbors broke out a window to pull the girl from the home. They say that a reasonable inspection would have revealed that their smoke detector was inoperable.
Other Cases Of Wrongful Death
We know that premises liability issues like this can also be the causes of wrongful death. Property owners have a duty to maintain a safe environment for guests and patrons. Other wrongful death cases commonly arise due to:
- Vehicle Accidents – Negligent drivers are often the cause of fatal crashes in Missouri. During the latest reporting year in Missouri, there were 153,422 total crashes reported. Out of those, there were 923 crash fatalities. Many of these crashes were caused by impaired drivers, distracted drivers, and those who operate their vehicles recklessly.
- Medical Mistakes – Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US, killing more than 250,000 people annually according to Johns Hopkins researchers.
- Workplace Accidents – Employers have a duty to ensure that workers have the equipment and training they need to perform their jobs properly.
- Product Liability – When we go to the website that tracks current recalls, we will see that there are hundreds of products on the market that can cause consumer injuries or fatalities.
We Are Ready To Help You Now
If you have lost a loved one due to the careless or negligent actions of another person, company, or entity, please seek legal assistance as soon as possible. You can count on the team at Peddicord & Townsend LLC to be by your side. We will work to investigate what happened so we can secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Cost of pre-death medical care
- Loss of future income and benefits of the deceased
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of consortium or companionship damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible
If you need a Kansas City wrongful death lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 816-842-3200.