How Can Accident Reconstruction Help Your Injury Claim?
If you were injured in a car accident and planning to file an injury claim, you will generally be required to prove the defendant’s action caused the accident and resulting injuries. One way of proving negligence is by use of accident reconstruction. What is accident reconstruction? And how can it help your injury claim?
What Is Accident Reconstruction?
Accident reconstruction generally refers to the process of using scientific principles such as vehicle dynamics, mathematics, and physics to determine the circumstances leading to an accident. Trained and certified reconstructionists usually conduct accident reconstructions with rich experience in physics, accident investigation, and traffic laws.
How Are Auto Accidents Reconstructed?
An accident reconstructionist carries out the following to determine how an accident happened:
- Vehicle Inspection: During this stage, crucial information such as the direction of impact and damage patterns is collected by inspecting the damaged vehicle. This, in turn, helps determine the collision type and severity.
- Analysis and Interpretation of data: The reconstruction expert will then analyze clues such as skid marks and witness testimony and use them to interpret the circumstances that led to the accident.
When Should You Seek the Help of an Accident Reconstruction Expert?
You may reach out to a reconstructionist if:
- You cannot recall the events that led to the accident
- There were no eyewitnesses
- Serious injuries occurred
- Key information is missing
It is important to note that not all car accidents require reconstruction. Consulting an experienced car accident attorney can help determine whether hiring a reconstruction expert will help your case or not.
How Can a Reconstructionist Help Your Claim?
Having a reconstructionist recreate the accident will help determine the following aspects of an accident:
- The speed at which the vehicle was moving at the time of the crash. The accident recreation will assess whether the driver(s) accelerated before the accident and whether the occupants had worn their seatbelts.
- The sequence of events. By recreating the accident, a reconstructionist will have a working theory of how the accident occurred and how it could have been prevented.
- Position of the vehicle and magnitude of the impact.
This information can help support your claim. It will help prevent disputes due to differing witness statements and improve your chances to recover incurred damages.
St. Louis Car Accident Attorney
Have you been injured in an accident that was caused by someone else's negligence? Speak with an experienced St. Louis car accident attorney at The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. 24/7 by calling (314) 361-4242. We can evaluate your claim for free and help you determine your next steps to prove your case and protect your rights.
Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer