How to file for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals also known as the Dream Act

by Bettina Yanez on Nov. 11, 2012

Immigration Immigration  Deportation Immigration  Visa 

Summary: Step by step instruction on filing for Deferred Action or Dream Act

How to file for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals or Dream Act 
You should hire reputable legal representation as there is no appeal process. You get one shot to request consideration, therefore, make it count, do it right.  If you want to file without the assistance of an attorney here are the steps to take:

First you need to complete the following forms listed.
File form I-821D with supporting documentation;
File form I-765 application for Employment Authorization;
File form I-756WS;
In order to receive an e-Notification that your forms have been accepted, you must complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance and clip it to the front of the Form I-821D.

Send in the fee of $465.00, Do not highlight your documents.

Checklist to ensure your request is accepted for processing by USCIS:

Make sure you sign all the forms.
Make sure you submit the correct fees.
Make sure to include all the documentation required by the form instructions.
Make sure you complete the required form fields:
After you file your documents you will receive the biometrics appointment date letter.
Mark the date on your calendar and do not forget to attend.
I have found that approvals can be received as soon as two weeks after your biometrics and on other
cases I am still waiting.  It just depends on how fast the USCIS workeris in processing that happned to be assigned to yur case.

For further information regarding immigration issues such as the Dream Act, please contact the immigration lawyer in Orange County at 714-665-6600. Call today for your free 60-minute consultation!

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See's full Terms of Use for more information.