Is it possible to file a claim against someone else's car insurance?
Every year, approximately 6 million car crashes are reported in the US. These accidents can have dire consequences, like severe injury, disability, or even death. Not every driver involved in a car accident becomes involved due to their own negligence or carelessness. A car accident can happen to anyone, even if they drive carefully and follow all traffic laws.
Unfortunately, you cannot prevent car accidents caused by someone else’s carelessness. You have the option to file a claim through your insurance, but it can be mentally and physically taxing to move a case while struggling with damages to your vehicle and treating your own injuries. Your insurance may also take a long time to process your claim, which can leave you feeling miserable about the situation.
If the accident was indeed not your fault, is it possible to claim compensation for your damage and loss from the other person’s car insurance?
Filing a claim against someone else's car insurance: How does it work?
The insurance policy for vehicles also covers “third party compensation,” which is what you can claim when you are involved in a car accident for which you are not at fault. In these cases, you are the third party for whom the other person's insurance company will pay the compensation to.
The challenge of getting a third-party claim is that it can take a long time to settle and process the claim. The other party's insurance company will diligently try to find proof of your negligence in the accident to deny your claim.
What should I do if the other party’s insurance is taking too long to settle my claim?
You always have the option of taking out a lawsuit against the other party and suing them in court. For this, it is beneficial to have the assistance of a seasoned Auto Accident Lawyer. If you choose to seek representation from a personal injury lawyer who concentrates on car accident cases, they can guide you through many aspects of your case. These aspects include understanding the amount of compensation for which you are eligible, preparing the case, filing the lawsuit, and guiding you throughout the entire process to give you the best chance of receiving the compensation you deserve.
Your car accident lawyer may ask for these details:
After you approach a car accident lawyer, they will ask for details about the accident so they can build you a strong case. Here are the documents and evidence they might want you to provide.
· Police report- There is usually a police report that is filed after a major car accident. The information from the police department will contribute greatly to your case while you file for compensation.
· Medical report- There is usually some form of medical care involved after a car accident. It is advised to see a doctor as soon as possible. Your doctor’s report will be one of the primary indicators of how much compensation you may be eligible for.
· Witness at the scene- Try to collect contact details of any eyewitnesses present at the scene of your accident, as their reports can help your case. You can also consider taking note of the road condition of the accident spot and the weather conditions.
· Picture or video of the accident scene- Make sure to take pictures of the accident spot if you can, this will provide extra evidence that may strengthen your case.
· Car number or other details of the other party involved in the accident- If possible, try to record the vehicle number, address, and contact details of the other party involved in the accident. This will be beneficial if you want to sue the other party or claim insurance from their insurance company.
Khattar Law, LLC has a team of highly experienced Personal Injury lawyers who can help you in the process of getting compensation for car and other auto accidents. We have provided extended legal assistance to 25,000 clients since 1991.
If you have been involved in any sort of auto accident, like motorcycle, car, truck, etc., reach out to Personal Injury Attorney San Antonio. We can efficiently frame your case in a way that can get you the maximum compensation amount for loss, damage, and injury caused by the accident. Do not delay in reaching out—it is important to file a case as soon as possible to avoid a loss of essential information.
Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer