Ask A Lawyer

Tell Us Your Case Information for Fastest Lawyer Match!

Please include all relevant details from your case including where, when, and who it involoves.
Case details that can effectively describe the legal situation while also staying concise generally receive the best responses from lawyers.

By submitting this lawyer request, I confirm I have read and agree to the Consent to Receive Email, Phone, Text Messages, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy. Information provided may not be privileged or confidential.

Juveniles Sentenced to Life without Parole

by Ed Jones on Nov. 14, 2012


Summary: Juveniles sentenced to life without parole

Juveniles sentenced to life without parole
On May 17, 2010, the U.S. Supreme Court held that a sentence of life without parole for a juvenile offender, who has not committed a homicide, violates the Eight Amendments Cruel and Unusual Punishment Clause. This is a big change for individuals under 18 who currently have been locked up for life. The case before the Supreme Court involved a young man who committed an armed burglary and attempted armed robbery shortly before his 18th birthday. The trial court noted he had received probation for an earlier armed burglary, and violated his probation by committing the current crimes. The court sentenced the young man, who was now 19 years old, to life for the armed burglary, and 15 years for the attempted armed robbery. The State of Florida, however, where he had committed the crimes, had abolished its parole system, leaving him with a sentence of life without parole. Based on the fact of this case, and the court's ruling, anyone, even someone a day under 18, who commits a crime short of murder, can not be locked away for the rest of his life.

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See's full Terms of Use for more information.