Key Roles of an Entertainment Lawyer
Summary: If you are in the entertainment industry, many of the activities in which you engage will often require the services of a legal professional. Whether you are an artist, director, producer, author, publisher, agent, manager, musician, or actor, contracts and other legal documentation are likely the foundation of your business.
If you are in the entertainment industry, many of the activities in which you engage will often require the services of a legal professional. Whether you are an artist, director, producer, author, publisher, agent, manager, musician, or actor, contracts and other legal documentation are likely the foundation of your business. To effectively protect your interests, all contract terms and conditions should be drafted and reviewed by a lawyer to ensure they protect your interests. Too often we hear stories about people getting duped by unsavory characters in the entertainment industry who take advantage of others and engage in fraudulent activities. If you find yourself in a difficult situation relating to the industry, an experienced entertainment attorney can provide crucial assistance.
Entertainment lawyers are the legal professionals who handle all transactional and litigation services that relate to the entertainment industry. Whether it is content licensing, collaboration, a production deal, or another type of contractual agreement, entertainment attorneys can satisfy your needs. Entertainment attorneys deal with clients in the full spectrum of entertainment industry services, including television and film production, live theatre, music, book publication, and talent management. They are extremely knowledgeable about how business law relates to the entertainment industry and can assist you in entertainment industry transactions. Here are some of the roles and responsibilities of an entertainment lawyer:
● Draft contracts. One of the most important things that an entertainment lawyer does is draft contracts and other agreements. They are knowledgeable about the law and can ensure that the terms contained within each contract are appropriate and align with their client’s best interests. In addition, an entertainment lawyer can help you understand the terms and conditions with which you are contractually bound to comply.
● Negotiations. An entertainment attorney will work on your behalf to represent your interests when negotiating contracts with other parties, as well. When parties to the proposed contract have competing interests, your lawyer can help you negotiate the terms, such as fee arrangements and other clauses. Lawyers have finely honed negotiation skills and are aware of the relevant laws, as well. When an entertainment lawyer negotiates a deal or a contract on your behalf, they will have your best interests at top of mind.
● Protecting intellectual property rights: The creator of an original work can claim intellectual property protection through a copyright. These types of works may include songs, books, scripts, films, and other artwork. If you want to prevent anyone else from using your work without your permission and capitalizing on your efforts, it is important to protect it. A seasoned entertainment lawyer can guide you through the process of protecting your intellectual property and defending it against anyone who attempts to infringe it.
● Adviser. Especially within the entertainment industry, a legal professional’s guidance or advice can be the key to success. Entertainment lawyers are proficient in the nuts and bolts of the entertainment industry, as well as how all of the relevant laws interact. They can advise you on the right paths to take and guide you with respect to union membership and other professional matters.
● Connecting with key professionals. An entertainment lawyer may help you connect with other key professionals within the industry, such as managers, agents, producers, and anyone else who may be able to advance your career. If you are new to the industry, your lawyers can instruct you with regard to avoiding common entertainment industry scams and frauds.
● Provide representation. An entertainment lawyer can represent you and handle all communications procedures on your behalf. If you have any legal matter or lawsuit filed against you, your attorney can negotiate on your behalf to secure an out-of-court settlement or vigorously represent you in court before a judge or jury.
While some people in the entertainment industry may believe that a talent manager or agent is sufficient for representation, entertainment lawyers can protect your interests on another level. In addition to professional representation, an entertainment attorney can protect your interests and legal rights, as well.
Contact a reputable entertainment lawyer Los Angeles trusts at The Hollywood Lawyer if you are looking for a trustworthy attorney to handle your case. Contact us for a free consultation to learn how our legal team can serve you.
Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer