Lost Income & Earning Capacity After a St. Louis Auto Accident

by Christopher Hoffmann on May. 28, 2021

Accident & Injury Accident & Injury  Car Accident Accident & Injury  Personal Injury 

Summary: When you are in a car accident and are injured, you generally have to file an insurance claim to recover compensation from the party at fault for the accident.


To get compensation for lost wages due to a car accident, you will need medical proof that your injury will or has caused you to lose income. You will likely need to allow the insurance company access to the medical report detailing the injuries you suffered from the car accident. The insurance company will, in most cases, send you an official authorization form. When you sign it, you will give the insurance company permission to access your medical reports, doctor's notes, and bills. 


Before you ever speak with the insurance company, it is very important that you speak with an experienced St. Louis car accident attorney. Insurance companies are generally looking for a way to minimize or deny your claim and limit the amount they have to payout. They may do things like wording an authorization form in such a way that you give them access to your complete medical history. If you agree to this, you will be giving insurance representatives full access to past medical records. In some situations, this may be used against you to limit your settlement amount.


Experienced attorneys understand the games the insurance companies play, and they know how to protect your rights and prove your case after a car accident.


Providing Proof

Make sure you have proof of your lost wages. You will usually need to obtain a letter on company letterhead from your manager that verified you missed work due to injuries. This becomes complicated if you are an independent contractor, self-employed, or work in the performing arts. In these situations, you may be asked to provide your tax returns. Remember, you will be dealing with the insurance company’s claims adjusters, who will be trying to limit the amount of money paid to you. This is what they have been hired to do. Claims adjusters are experienced in handling accident claim cases, giving them an advantage, especially if this is the first time you have filed a claim for lost wages. 


At The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C., we are fully acquainted with Missouri accident claims laws. We can help you provide the proof necessary to obtain compensation for lost wages.



Once a conference has been arranged, make sure to bring all documentation with you to the meeting. Your attorney will need to have a good layout of what has happened. They will need to have medical forms, dates and times, testimony from witnesses, identification of the areas where you were hurt, and your firsthand account of the accident. This is the time to ask the hard questions. Ask the attorney about how to begin calculating lost wages, where you should and how you should prove it, and what their role will be in your claim. 


To speak with a St. Louis Car Accident Attorney at The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. call (314) 361-4242. All communications are returned promptly. We offer FREE, no-obligation consultations.

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer

Lawyer.com is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on Lawyer.com is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by Lawyer.com. The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, Lawyer.com recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See Lawyer.com's full Terms of Use for more information.