Stay Away from Me!

by Thomas Alan Jacobson on Oct. 12, 2018


Summary: If someone is harassing you, it is possible to get a "no contact order" that prohibits that person from contacting you or being near you.


If someone is harassing you, it is possible to get a "no contact order" that prohibits that person from contacting you or being near you. There are a number of different types of "no contact orders" that a Court can issue. One type is called a Harassment Restraining Order.


Harassment under Minnesota law could be a single incident of physical or sexual assault. It could also be repeated incidents of intrusive or unwanted acts, such as stalking, making unwanted visits or phone calls, engaging in threatening behavior, damaging your property, etc. If any of these situations exist, and there is a likelihood that the harassment will continue, you may ask the Court to issue a Harassment Restraining Order.


A Court may issue a Harassment Restraining Order with or without a hearing, depending on the circumstances. Harassment Restraining Orders are generally granted for a period of time up to 2 years, though a Court may extend that time to 50 years for repeat offenders. The purpose of a Harassment Restraining Order is to protect a person from future harassment. If the subject of the Harassment Restraining Order violates the provisions of the Order, that person could be charged with a crime and may even face sanctions such as a fine or jail time.


Derek Trosvig.jpg


Another protective order is called an Order for Protection. If you are the victim of domestic abuse and are in a situation where you believe the abuse will continue, it is possible to get a Court Order that prohibits the offender from contacting you or your children. The Order may also prohibit the offender from being at your residence or place of employment. This type of protective order is called an Order for Protection.


A Court may issue an Order for Protection if domestic abuse has occurred and the parties are family or household members. Domestic abuse may include such things as hitting, kicking, stabbing, slapping or pushing. Domestic abuse may also include verbal threats or threatening gestures even if no physical touching occurred.


Greg Donahue.jpg


Family or household members are people who are married or were once married, parents and children, persons related by blood or adoption, people who have children (or are expecting children) together, people who have lived together now or in the past, or people who were involved in a significant romantic or intimate relationship.


At Swenson Lervick, we are dedicated to protecting victims of abuse. If you have questions about protecting yourself or your family members, we can help. Please contact Heidi Schultz, Derek Trosvig or Greg Donahue at 320-763-3141. Additional help can be found at Someplace Safe.


The comments posted in this blog are for general informational purposes only. They are not to be considered as legal advice, and they do not establish an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice regarding your specific situation, please consult your attorney.


Copyright 2018 Swenson Lervick Syverson Trosvig Jacobson Schultz Cass, PA

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See's full Terms of Use for more information.