by Richard D. Freiman on Oct. 15, 2018

Divorce & Family Law Divorce Divorce & Family Law  Family Law 

Summary: The basics of summary dissolution in California.

In California, the legal term for divorce is dissolution. There are two types of divorce in California, the regular dissolution and the summary dissolution. This article will give a basic explain of summary dissolution in California for married couples.  For either regular dissolution or summary dissolution: either spouse must have lived in California for the last six months and the county where the dissolution is filed for at least three months; if both spouses have lived in California for the last six months but in different counties for at least three months, the dissolution can be filed in either county.  Summary dissolution in California which is easier and takes less time than a regular dissolution is limited to couples: who don’t have any children together; have been married five years or less; whose community property is worth $43,000.00 or less; who don’t have separate property which is worth more than $43,000.00; the total of all community obligations (not counting car loans) is no more than $6,000.00; both spouses have agreed to and signed a property settlement agreement; both spouses waive any claim for spousal support. The procedure for a summary dissolution in California is generally as follows: each spouse has to complete: Declaration of Disclosure (FL-140); Schedule of Assets and Debts (FL-142) or Property Declaration (FL-160); Income and Expense Declaration (FL-150); both spouses: complete and sign a Property Settlement Agreement; prepare and file a Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution (FL-800) with the Property Settlement Agreement with the superior court in their county as well as a Judgment of Dissolution and Notice of Entry of Judgment (FL-830). The summary dissolution (divorce) will be final six months after the couple files the Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution (FL-800). Either spouse can stop the process of summary dissolution during the six-month period by filing a Notice of Revocation of Petition for Summary Dissolution (FL-830). If either spouse does that and either spouse wants to still pursue a dissolution then that spouse will have to file for a regular dissolution using the Petition-Marriage/Domestic Partnership (FL-100) unless both spouses agree to begin a new summary dissolution procedure.  The information in this article does not constitute nor is it intended to constitute legal advice.


For a free consultation call:

Richard D. Freiman, Attorney at Law, (310) 917-1021

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See's full Terms of Use for more information.