What Is Disclosure in Divorce?

by Eric J. Proos on Sep. 11, 2017

Divorce & Family Law Divorce Divorce & Family Law 

Summary: What Is Disclosure in Divorce?


So, you have decided that you want to get a divorce. So what is disclosure in divorce?

You have filed your petition and summons, and your ex has been served.  Your ex does not respond to the petition, but you do not want to file for default or negotiate a settlement because he/she has started two businesses since you were married and you are unsure on the value of the companies.

 Disclosure in Divorce

What can you do?  If they do not want to disclose the information, as prescribed by law, you may be thinking that is it, I will never know the value of the businesses.

What Is Disclosure in Divorce? Ask a Beverly Hills family law attorney today! Book your free consultation by calling +1 844-618-8080 (toll free) or texting 778—676—3808 after hours. We offer flat fee billing options.


Whether you are in Malibu, Beverly Hills, or Pasadena we can help get you the information you need, and are legally entitled to, to proceed with your divorce.  There are two methods we like to use at Hart Legal: formal and informal.

Related: What Are the Consequences Of Hiding Assets During Divorce?

To decide which method to use we need to have a detailed conversation with the client and determine how each strategy will affect the case.  One way of getting the information is through a Formal Demand for Preliminary Declaration of Disclosure.

This is issued to the opposing party directly.  If the party does not respond then we are able to file a motion in court to compel the opposing party to provide the information, we can also seek sanctions for forcing us to involve the court.

This is the best route with a really stubborn ex or someone looking to avoid any accountability.

The second route is an informal demand.  We can simply inform the opposing party of the legal obligation to provide financial information through a letter.

In the letter, we illustrate the possible avenues our client has to take, what the law states, and what the law provides as remedies if the opposing party does not abide by the law.  The informal demand is sometimes followed by a formal demand.

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer

Lawyer.com is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on Lawyer.com is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by Lawyer.com. The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, Lawyer.com recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See Lawyer.com's full Terms of Use for more information.