What Should an Employee Do if He/She Has Been Sexually Harassed in Connecticut?

by Joseph C. Maya on Feb. 21, 2024


Summary: What Should an Employee Do if He/She Has Been Sexually Harassed in Connecticut?

As a first step, the employee should review his/her company’s sexual harassment and complaint policy to determine what avenues are available to him/her internally to address the situation.  In some circumstances, employees may have to comply with the employer’s established policies and procedures in order to later bring a legal action.

The employee may also consider telling the harasser to stop the offensive behavior, whether in person, by email or by writing a letter.  Regardless of how it is done, the communication should describe the offensive conduct, make clear that it is unacceptable and that it must stop.  As a next step, the employee may speak to a supervisor or to human resources department.  In all events, the employee should document the steps he/she has taken to complain about or curtail the harassment.

An employee should also consider talking to an attorney with experience in labor and employment law to better understand her rights, particularly if an employer is unwilling or unable to take steps to address any harassment.   Frequently, deadlines for bringing a formal complaint are very strict, so it is generally helpful to talk to an attorney promptly.

Maya Murphy P.C. has proudly been included in the 2024 Edition of Best Law Firms®, ranked among the top firms in the nation. In addition, Managing Partner Joseph C. Maya has been selected to The Best Lawyers in America® 2024 for his work in Employment Law and Education Law in Connecticut. Recognition in Best Lawyers® is awarded to firms and attorneys who demonstrate excellence in the industry, and is widely regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor.

Our firm in Westport, Connecticut serves clients with legal assistance all over the state, including the towns of: Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Bethany, Bethel, Branford, Bridgeport, Brookfield, Cheshire, Danbury, Darien, Derby, East Haven, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Guilford, Hamden, Madison, Meriden, Middlebury, Milford, Monroe, Naugatuck, New Canaan, New Fairfield, New Haven, Newton, North Branford, North Haven, Norwalk, Orange, Oxford, Prospect, Redding, Ridgefield, Seymour, Shelton, Sherman, Southbury, Stamford, Stratford, Trumbull, Wallingford, Waterbury, West Haven, Weston, Westport, Wilton, and Woodbridge. In addition to assisting clients in Connecticut, our firm handles education law and employment law matters in New York as well. 

If you have any questions about employment law or education law in Connecticut, or would like to speak to an attorney about a legal matter, please contact Joseph C. Maya and the other experienced attorneys at Maya Murphy, P.C. at (203) 221-3100 or JMaya@Mayalaw.com to schedule a free initial consultation today.

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer

Lawyer.com is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on Lawyer.com is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by Lawyer.com. The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, Lawyer.com recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See Lawyer.com's full Terms of Use for more information.