Ask A Lawyer

Tell Us Your Case Information for Fastest Lawyer Match!

Please include all relevant details from your case including where, when, and who it involoves.
Case details that can effectively describe the legal situation while also staying concise generally receive the best responses from lawyers.

By submitting this lawyer request, I confirm I have read and agree to the Consent to Receive Email, Phone, Text Messages, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy. Information provided may not be privileged or confidential.

What to Do in Chicago Car Accidents Involving Children

by Matthew Willens on Jul. 18, 2016

Accident & Injury Accident & Injury  Car Accident Accident & Injury  Personal Injury 

Summary: Here are some steps that you should take immediately after the accident to protect your baby or young child.


Car accidents can leave you confused and overwhelmed, and it can become even more stressful if there was a child in the backseat at the time of the crash. Your first concern will be to ensure his or her well-being. In this post, our Willens accident law firm will discuss steps that you should take immediately after the accident to protect your baby or young child.



Steps to take after a car crash to protect your child


  • Immediately call 911 and ensure that the first responders are on their way
  • Take steps to avoid a secondary crash. Put on your flashers, set up cones, or alert drivers of your presence in whatever way you can
  • Generally, it is advisable to avoid moving the child until first responders arrive. This is often important, because if the child has sustained a brain or spinal cord injury, even a slight movement can make it worse
  • Seek medical help. Even if there are no visible injuries, you must get the child and yourself examined from a doctor.
  • Call your child’s pediatrician and inform them of the accident. Even if the child is being treated in the hospital emergency room, you should follow up with the pediatrician to ensure that the child gets right medical care.
  • Even if the doctor has let your child go home, because there are no evident injuries, you should still watch carefully for any signs or symptoms of injury. Some common symptoms that may indicate injury include sleepiness, excessive crying, lack of interest in toys or favorite activities, inconsolable, lack of interest in eating or drinking, and change in behavior.
  • After the crash, you should get a new car seat for the child. A car seat that has been in an accident may not be able to provide adequate safety in event of another crash.
  • Let the babysitters or other caretakers of the child know about the crash so that everyone watches the child carefully for any signs of possible injury.
  • Get the right kind of treatment for the child. If you think that the child should be checked or treated by a specialist such as a neurologist, then you should not ignore your instincts and seek specialist care even if you have to fight for it.

Children are often the worst victims of auto accidents. Many have to live with significant long term injuries as a result of a crash caused by someone else’s negligence. If your child has suffered in a car accident, it is advisable to speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. As child injuries have the potential to affect the rest of your child's life, it is vital that you receive adequate compensation to cover child’s long term treatment, therapy, and other losses suffered as a result of the crash. At Willens Law Offices we have years of experience and a proven track record of helping Chicago injury victims and their families receive maximum compensation for their injuries.

Call us today at (312) 957-4166 today for a free consultation.

Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Content posted on is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated and is not reviewed or commented on by The application of law to any set of facts is a highly specialized skill, practiced by lawyers and often dependent on jurisdiction. Content on the site of a legal nature may or may not be accurate for a particular state or jurisdiction and may largely depend on specific circumstances surrounding individual cases, which may or may not be consistent with your circumstances or may no longer be up-to-date to the extent that laws have changed since posting. Legal articles therefore are for review as general research and for use in helping to gauge a lawyer's expertise on a matter. If you are seeking specific legal advice, recommends that you contact a lawyer to review your specific issues. See's full Terms of Use for more information.