What to Do in Chicago Car Accidents Involving Children
Car accidents can leave you confused and overwhelmed, and it can become even more stressful if there was a child in the backseat at the time of the crash. Your first concern will be to ensure his or her well-being. In this post, our Willens accident law firm will discuss steps that you should take immediately after the accident to protect your baby or young child.
Steps to take after a car crash to protect your child
- Immediately call 911 and ensure that the first responders are on their way
- Take steps to avoid a secondary crash. Put on your flashers, set up cones, or alert drivers of your presence in whatever way you can
- Generally, it is advisable to avoid moving the child until first responders arrive. This is often important, because if the child has sustained a brain or spinal cord injury, even a slight movement can make it worse
- Seek medical help. Even if there are no visible injuries, you must get the child and yourself examined from a doctor.
- Call your child’s pediatrician and inform them of the accident. Even if the child is being treated in the hospital emergency room, you should follow up with the pediatrician to ensure that the child gets right medical care.
- Even if the doctor has let your child go home, because there are no evident injuries, you should still watch carefully for any signs or symptoms of injury. Some common symptoms that may indicate injury include sleepiness, excessive crying, lack of interest in toys or favorite activities, inconsolable, lack of interest in eating or drinking, and change in behavior.
- After the crash, you should get a new car seat for the child. A car seat that has been in an accident may not be able to provide adequate safety in event of another crash.
- Let the babysitters or other caretakers of the child know about the crash so that everyone watches the child carefully for any signs of possible injury.
- Get the right kind of treatment for the child. If you think that the child should be checked or treated by a specialist such as a neurologist, then you should not ignore your instincts and seek specialist care even if you have to fight for it.
Children are often the worst victims of auto accidents. Many have to live with significant long term injuries as a result of a crash caused by someone else’s negligence. If your child has suffered in a car accident, it is advisable to speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. As child injuries have the potential to affect the rest of your child's life, it is vital that you receive adequate compensation to cover child’s long term treatment, therapy, and other losses suffered as a result of the crash. At Willens Law Offices we have years of experience and a proven track record of helping Chicago injury victims and their families receive maximum compensation for their injuries.
Call us today at (312) 957-4166 today for a free consultation.
Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer